Netflix, HuluPlus, Amazon on Roku device

mmmh I need some BitCoins to pay for all this, please donate some to me :-) .... - 16tb2Rgn4uDptrEuR94BkhQAZNgfoMj3ug

If you live in a country that has censorship laws, corrupt politicians, a crime rate higher than the stars and people taking other people's land and you are desperate to get some decent TV, then this is for you.

I recently had fiber to the home installed, but there was no way to set the DNS in the ONT - Optical Network Terminal, IE the little thingy that's mounted on the wall where the fiber plugs in, this caused some problems for me, as I stream through a Roku device and the Roku device of course does not allow you to set the DNS...

I do have Unotelly, but the problem is that although I can activate the UnoTelly DNS on my computer and stream Netflix by using the computer, that does not solve my Roku streaming problem as the Roku device does not pick up the computer settings, so below is what I did




Step 1, Get yourself a old router and flash it with DD-WRT, this router will be used as the DHCP server on your network, so any device that connect to your network, will get an IP address from this router and will of course get the DNS settings as well
Step 2, Get your self a switch, mine is a 16 port NetGear switch that I had lying around.
Step 3, Connect your network to the same as the picture, or something similar
Setp 4, Log into the ONT and disable the DHCP server setting
Step 5, Set your old flashed DD-WRT router up as a DHCP with the UnoTelly DNS settings
Step 6, Enjoy Netflix, Huluplus and all the other blocked channels

STEP 1

Go to this link and see if your old router is flash-able (is that even a word?)

STEP 2

Try something like this D-LINK 16 port switch, you can go for less ports, depending on how many connections you want to make...

STEP 3

See the picture above

STEP 4

Use 192.168.1.1 in your browser and disable DHCP in the ONT


STEP 5

Follow the steps on how to flash your router on the DD-WRT website, assign IP 192.168.1.2 as the router IP address and set it as a DHCP server and remember to add the UnoTelly DNS server IP addresses, see below, my old router is a Linksys WRT54G, I disabled the wireless on it as I get wireless access from the ONT. IMPORTANT, SET A USER AND PASSWORD


STEP 6
Reboot all the devices on the network, check if Roku now streams

WAIT I hear you cry, my Roku is still not working, relax I say
Roku in their ability to think and act using knowledge, experience, understanding, common sense, and insight decided to hard code Google's DNS settings, so we need to block these from being picked up by the Roku, so make some firewall changes in the DD-WRT router, set the following rules

Go to Administration > Commands and set the following, then Save Firewall and reboot again

iptables -I PREROUTING -t nat -p udp -d 8.8.4.4 --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination [ UnoDns server ]

iptables -I PREROUTING -t nat -p udp -d 8.8.8.8 --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination [ UnoDns server ]

See a screenshot of mine below

That should be it, you can now enjoy some decent TV

Keep in mind, you need the following for this to work
1 - Valid Netflix account
2 - Valid Roku account
3 - Valid UnoTelly account

Go Thorth and watch TV

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.